KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD and WONDER WOMAN
THE COSTUME CONTEST
Saturday Night at 8pm • Main Events Room
Prizes, trophies, fun and surprises.
Register to enter at the Convention Information Table in the Atrium or just come see the show!
Registration will take place at the Con Info table starting on Friday at 5:00 pm and run until 10:00 pm. On Saturday you can register from 10:00 am until 5:30 pm (or until the categories are filled up). Make sure you don’t delay and get yourself registered right away if you’d like to be onstage and have the best view possible of the incredible costumes at the show.
You’ll be the center of attention as you show off your costume creation in one of eight categories: Media Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Literary/Anime, Masters, Horror, Juniors, Children, Small Groups (2-6 people), and Large Groups (6-12 people). In order to be in the Costume contest, you must sign up ahead of time at the Convention Information booth or online. No entries will be accepted any other way. StarFest 2017 Online Costume Contest Entry Form
There will be prizes, fame and accolades to the winners. Think of laying claim to hoards of fans rewarding you with thunderous applause – it’s time for you to get to work on your costume!
What are you waiting for? It’s time to get your ticket to fame and fortune. Get your costume together!
You can enter the Costume Contest at the Convention Information Table Friday evening or all day Saturday (until 5:30pm). You MUST register at the table before the contest begins. Once we start lineups, we cannot accept any more entries. Registration ends at 5:30pm on Saturday (earlier if the contest reaches capacity). When a division is filled (as determined by the Costume Contest Staff), that category will be closed for additional entries.
- All costumes must be ORIGINAL. If you bought or rented your costume as one unit (i.e. a Batman costume as opposed to purchasing your tights here, your cape there, and your leotard somewhere else and customizing it to fit your character) points cannot be given for anything except presentation.
- All winning costumes must be retired. They may be scavenged for parts, but refurbishing doesn’t constitute a new costume.
- Dramatic speeches, skits, and singing will be allowed. You may have a CD with your presentation. You will have 60 seconds.
- If you have a CD with your presentation, you must make sure we know about it when you register and give it to us before 5:30pm Saturday. CDs can be collected immediately after the Contest or at Convention Information the next day. You can help us out by giving us a CD with only the music that you want played.
- Cassette tapes will not be played in Main Events; if you need to use a tape, you will need to take your own player on stage with you. Make sure it runs on batteries since power will not be available.
- A written description of your costume can be given to Kevin for reading while you present your costuming skills onstage. The description will be limited to a maximum of three bullet points, so make sure you know what you want to say. You will not be able to have something read if you choose to sing or say something yourself.
- You must let us know if you are going to use any props and/or special effects. Figure if you can’t carry it on stage with you, it probably won’t be allowed. If there is any question about what can and can’t be done, you need to ask about it before the convention. We wouldn’t want you to invest in equipment you can’t use.
In this presentation, judges will be evaluating overall stage appearance and costuming skills. Your singing or speaking may detract from your overall score.
Things We Shouldn’t Have to Tell You
- We strongly urge you to have a costume that is somewhat comfortable to wear. Sometimes you have to wait quite a long time before your turn, and we would hate to have you pass out before you were able to show off your creation. Be sensible — make sure your costume is well-ventilated.
- NO NUDITY! No Band-Aids stuck in strategic places, no loin cloths that show too much, no see-through flimsy outfits that leave nothing to the imagination . . . if you feel you must flaunt it, do it in the privacy of your own home. All costumes will be viewed at the Contest Lineup. Because everyone has a different idea as to what constitutes a rather questionable outfit, the Contest Staff will have the final say. What they say goes! You can be disqualified and asked to leave the convention. (This is actually handed down from the entire Convention Staff and constitutes official policy for the whole convention. Please be forewarned that KathE is very serious about this rule being enforced.)
- No offensive or coarse language (this is a family convention).
- There will be one winner and runner up selected from each presentation in each category listed below. Costume Best of Show will be the highest judged costume from Media Science Fiction, Fantasy/Literary/Anime, Dr Who, Masters and Groups. The costume categories for this convention’s contest are:
- Media Science Fiction — Costumes inspired by TV, movies, live or animated.
- Fantasy/Literary/Anime — Costumes inspired by a Sci-fi/fantasy/anime book or characters (also Original characters)
- Horror — Costumes inspired by Horror movies or characters (singles or groups)
- Masters — For costumers having placed in three StarCon/StarFest Contests.
- Juniors — For young costumers 13-17 years of age.
- Children — For young costumers 12 and under.
- Small Groups — Any presentation containing 2-6 people on stage in costume (this includes all Sci-fi, literary, media)
- Large Groups — Any presentation containing 7-12 people on stage in costume (this includes all Sci-fi, literary, media)
If there are some costumes that are qualified for more than one category, effort will be made to put them in the most appropriate category.
- Prizes will be awarded during and just following the contest.
- Contest lineup will be in Activities Room B beginning 1 hour before the contest begins. Please do not arrive later than 15 minutes before the Contest is scheduled to start. You may only line up if you checked in at the Costume Contest Registration Table and signed your photo release. If you did not check in, you MAY NOT participate.
If you have any questions, just ask the staff at the Costume Contest Registration table.
Do you have a song you need to sing? A skit you need to perform? The Activities Stage is the place to do it on Sunday morning. Sign up Friday and Saturday at Costume Contest registration (near Convention Information). Walk-ons will be accepted on Sunday If time permits. Please keep performances to under 5 minutes each. Categories are 18+ and under 18.
Warm up those pipes, practice that guitar, or put the finishing touches on your skit!! You could win fabulous prizes.
We’ll have two separate categories: under 18 and 18 and older. Prizes will be awarded.
Sign up at Costume Contest Registration near Convention Information on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning of the convention and in the Activities Room just before the show.